SCCM Interview Question
1. What is the application of retirement in SCCM?
Answer: When we retire an application it won’t become available for any further deployment. But the installed application on the device won’t get removed.
2. What is the application deployment process/steps using SCCM?
Answer: Create an application First. Distribute application to distribution points. After getting distributed, client devices will check for policy updates from the management point. The client system also gets the information about Distribution Point from where it can fetch the contents. The client will download application contents from the distribution point and it will be installed finally. In the whole process, we can track the application using the content ID and package ID and scope ID.
3. What things are considered when you want to enable prestaged content Distribution Point?
A. Don does not enable prestaged content DP when the DP is located on-site server.
B. The content library has to be created on DP before enabling prestaged content on it.
C. None of this.
Answer: Both A and B
4. What will happen when the pull Distribution point is also enabled for prestages contents?
Answer: Pull DP always pulls the contents from source DP but if the same is enabled for prestaged then it won’t pull contents.
5. What are All unknown computer collections?
Answer: All Unknown Computers are defined under configuration manager to carry deployment on computers which are either not discovered or which does not have a client installed on it.
6. How is replication defined between different SCCM sites?
Answer: There are two ways the data is getting replicated between sites. One is file-based replication which will be used to transfer contents for deployment, state messages and these uses SMB port 445.
Replication between databases of different sites takes place using the SQL server service Broker. Whereas in database replication replicates Global and Site data.
Global data replicated everywhere. It consists of Package metadata, Program Metadata, Deployments, Software updates Metadata, Operating system images, Configuration Items metadata, Alert rules, Client discovery, Collections rules and count.
Site Data replicates from parent to CAS. It consists of Alert messages, Hardware Inventory, Software inventory and metering, Status messages, Status summary data, Client Health data, Component, and Site Status Summarizers.
7. Where do the configuration Manager records location request and reply activity from clients? (LogFile)
Answer: Location Requests from clients can be found in MP_Location.log.
8. What is the Inbox folder in SCCM?
Answer: Configuration Manager’s thread components use folders known as inboxes to receive files from other components within the site. A component can notify another component that it has work to do by dropping a file in its inbox. The inbox folders temporarily store files before they are processed to the site database or transferred to another site or site component
The inbox folders are nothing but temporarily store files before they are committed to the SMS site database.
9. What are state messages?
Answer: State (Status) messages are transferred between the client and server to inform the server about the state of the client. Messages can be used to track activities and report to the server about it.
State messages flow is as below.
Client —–> Management Point——>Site Server——->SQL Database.
10. I have created one file-based subscription for the All Collection report. For this, I have also created a shared folder with proper permissions. But at the defined schedule the report has not been generated in the folder. Where should I look for related logs?
Answer: You can check the log under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\LogFiles.
11. What is the win 10 servicing plan option in the SCCM console?
Answer: Configuration Manager used to service Windows 10 devices by two methods. The first option is to use Windows 10 Servicing Plans can be used to deploy Windows 10 feature updates automatically And the second option is to use a configuration manager to deploy feature updates and other installation.
12. Which system roles services cannot be installed on secondary sites?
Answer: Below listed roles can not be installed on secondary sites-
- Fallback status
- Reporting service point
- Windows Intune Connector
- Application Catalog Web Service point
- Application Catalog Website point
- System Health Validator Point
- Endpoint Protection point
- Enrollment Proxy Point
13. What is Cloud Management Gateway?
Answer: SCCM CMG provides a way to manage Internet/Roaming clients. We can deploy CMG service in Azure.
There exist two components in CMG Deployment:
The first is CMG cloud service in Azure which performs authentication of clients and forwards Configuration Manager client requests to the CMG connection point.
The second component is the CMG connection point site system role which enables consistent connectivity from the on-premises network to the CMG service in Azure. The CMG connection point forwards client requests from the CMG to on-premises roles.
The service connection point is needed to handle CMG deployment tasks and to monitor logging information from Azure AD.
14. How does the Internet client get authenticated?
Answer: Internet-based clients can get authenticated using PKI certificates or Azure AD as an identification source.
15. What is the user of using the Bandwidth Throttling option?
Answer: Bandwidth Throttling helps to control bandwidth when content is getting distributed from a site server to a distribution point.
16. What are the different types of boundaries that can be defined in SCCM?
Answer: Active Directory Site, IP Ranges, IP Subnet, and IPv6 Prefix are different types of boundaries that can be defined under SCCM.
17. What are the different types of rules that can be used for collection membership while creating collections?
Answer: The following options can be used for defining collection membership rule: –
Include collection rules.
Exclude collection rule.
18. Which log file can be analyzed while monitoring client push installation?
Answer: We can use a ccm.exe log file to monitor client push installation.
19. What is Colleval.log file?
Answer: It is a log file that will record information regarding creation, modification, and removal of collections.
20. What information will be displayed/checked using Client Health Dashboard in SCCM?
Answer: Client Health Dashboard will display the following information-
Total number of SCCM Clients
Inactive SCCM Clients
Client Health by Collection
Unhealthy Client Details
21. What are the new features in SCCM 1910?
Answer: In version 1910, the name of the application is changed from Configuration Manager to Microsoft Endpoint Manager, otherwise functionality remains the same.
- Desktop Analytics:- This is a cloud-connected service that integrates with SCCM and allows the following functions like Inventory of running apps on your SCCM clients, Assess the compatibility of applications, Using pilot groups to deploy win 10, etc.
- Run task Sequence with a High-performance power plan: -You can allow this option to speed up task sequence.
- Independent third party catalog update options. No need to synchronize the entire catalog.
- Configuration Manager actually now is part of Microsoft Endpoint Manager with other solutions like intune, Desktop Analytics, Autopilot
23 What is the software metering?
Answer: Software metering is a feature of SCCM which allows you to find out how many applications actually deployed and how many application licenses are actually in use. So it helps to evaluate the exact requirement and usage of licenses. From the client setting, you can define a schedule for it. By default, it runs every 7 days.
24. What is the benefit of BITS enabled DP?
Answer: BITS-enabled distribution points help define bandwidth throttling between client devices and distribution points. Also, when a device is downloading from a BITS-enabled distribution point and if it is interrupted, it can continue to transfer where it left off.
25 What is option office 365 in the SCCM console?
Answer: After SCCM 1602 and later versions office 365 option is seen under the Software Library of the SCCM Console. With the help of it, we can deploy office 365 products for SCCM clients.
26 What is SCCM co-management?
Answer: Co-management works by integrating your existing Configuration Manager with the Microsoft 365 cloud. It helps you to use additional cloud-powered capabilities and features. Co-management enables you to simultaneously manage Windows 10 devices using both Configuration Manager and Microsoft Intune.
27 List the nonconfigurable ports in SCCM?
Answer: SCCM doesn’t allow us to configure ports for the following types of communication:
- Site to site
- Site server to the site system
- Configuration Manager console to SMS Provider
- Configuration Manager console to the internet
- Connections to cloud services, such as Microsoft Intune and cloud distribution points
28 Which ports are used by SCCM clients to communicate with SUP by using HTTP?
Answer: Communication ports used by clients to communicate with SUP are 80 and 8530 by HTTP.
29 What is used by the SCCM site to communicate with Distribution points?
Answer: SCCM site uses SMB, RPC to communicate with Distribution Point.
30 What is a pilot collection?
Answer: Before deploying software updates to production we can test/validate it on a subset of devices.
31 What is a phased deployment?
Answer: Phased deployment is available in version 1806. Phased deployments allow the automation of a sequenced rollout of software across multiple collections. First, we deploy software to a pilot collection, and then automatically continue the rollout based on the success rate.
For more interview questions please visit my refer my next blog that is SCCM Interview Questions – Part II
SevenMnetor Pvt Ltd
Call the Trainer and Book your free demo Class for JAVA now!!!
© Copyright 2020 | Sevenmentor Pvt Ltd.