SCCM Interview Questions – Part II
1. I have created a task sequence for OSD. I want a computer name option to get prompted during the OSD. What should I do to achieve this?
Answer: If you want to prompt for a computer name during the execution of task sequence, you need to specify go to properties of All unknown computer collection -> In the Collection variable tab -> define variable name as “OSDComputerName and remove the checkmark from Do Not Display this value in the Configuration Manager console.
2. If I want to install an operating system on unknown computers but for this, I do not want to use All Unknown Computer collection for OSD deployment. What is another way to do this?
Answer: Instead of using the default unknown collection you can use import computer wizard to import a single computer or import a CSV file containing a list of unknown devices (identified by their MAC address). Set OSD on this collection.
3. When we use the update and servicing role with online service connection mode, what steps are involved for installing updates for SCCM?
Answer: When we are using online service connection mode for servicing SCCM, you will find the available updates/upgrades listed in the SCCM console. When it reflects the state as “available to download”, then right-click and start downloading. For checking the status of download dmpdownloader.log file. You can track your update package using the package GUID. After completing the download you can run a prerequisite check to ensure that all the prerequisites are satisfied and installation is not going to be stuck/ failed. Now use the install update option to start installing it. Using the option “Show Status”, you can check the progress of the installation. Use cmupdate.log file for tracking and monitoring installation.
4. What are the different application detection methods defined in SCCM?
Answer: SCCM admin can use detection methods to ensure that application will not be if it is already present in the system. Following detection methods can be used :
- File system
- Windows Installers
- Custom Detection
5. Explain replication between SCCM Sites?
Answer: There are two ways that define the replication between SCCM Sites.
- File-Based Replication: It transfers file-based data like applications and packages. File-Based replication uses the SMB Protocol (port 445). We can use two options to control network bandwidth while transferring data to the destination site using pulse mode and Limited to maximum transfer rates by the hour.
- Database Replication: Changes in the database get replicated between sites at the database level. Database replication uses server service broker port 4022. The data that gets replicated include Global data -Data that create dby administrators like Collections, software deployments, software objects, and Site data– includes operation data like alerts, hardware inventory, state messages, etc.
6. How to check if the management point is working?
Answer: Management point health can be verified by looking into Site System Status and Site Component Status options under the Monitoring section of the SCCM console.
7. What are the boundary types?
Answer: We can define a boundary using the following boundary types:
Active Directory site name
IP address range
8. What is the purpose of defining boundary groups?
Answer: Boundary group helps the clients find a primary site for client assignment in case of an automatic site assignment. It also tells the client about their preferred management point and content locations also.
9. What are the different discovery methods used by SCCM?
Answer: SCCM uses the following Discovery methods to discover users and devices that it needs to manage from an active directory database. For each discovery, it created a DDR (Discovered Data record) then which ultimately got stored in a database.
SCCM discovery methods are as follows:
- Active Directory Forest Discovery: This method discovers sites and subnets.IP boundaries can get created through this method.
2. Active Directory Group Discover: This method used to discover groups from the selected location in the Active Directory. It discovers local, global, and universal security groups and also group membership.
- Active Directory System Discovery: It is used to discover the computers in an organization within specific AD locations. We need to install SCCM clients on devices in order to perform any kind of deployment.
- Configuration Manager Active Directory User Discovery – This Discovery process used to discover the user accounts within your Active Directory domain. You need to define the Active Directory container in order to find the user accounts.
- HeartBeat Discovery – This discovery method is enabled by default. The HeartBeat Discovery runs on each SCCM client and is used to update discovery records of client devices in the SCCM database. Further, these records are forwarded to the management point in a specified duration. HeartBeat discovery by default is scheduled to run every 7 days.
- Network Discovery – The Network discovery method is used to search network devices with their IP address. It finds the domains, SNMP devices, and DHCP servers to discover resources like printers, routers, and bridges.
Logs for discovery methods as given below:
Adsgdis.log: Records Active Directory Security Group Discovery actions. adsysdis.log Records Active Directory System Discovery actions. adusrdis.log Records Active Directory User Discovery actions. ADForestDisc.Log Records Active Directory Forest Discovery actions. ddm.log Records activities of the discovery data manager.
InventoryAgent.log Records activities of hardware inventory, software inventory, and heartbeat discovery actions on the client.
netdisc.log Records Network Discovery actions. Site server
10. What is the state Migration role in SCCM?
Answer: State Migration Role is used to backup and migrates user states. Configuration Manager uses task sequences to capture and restore the user state data in operating system deployment scenarios like an in-place upgrade (Where user state is restored on the same system ) or replace upgrade (In which user state is restored on another system)
In order to perform this SCCM uses USMT, which is a User State Migration Tool.
11. What is Asset intelligence?
Answer: Asset intelligence helps to manage Inventory and software license usage within our organization with the help of the asset intelligence catalog. Asset intelligence provides information about software licenses for different software that are being used, both Microsoft and non-Microsoft.
12. What is the software and hardware inventory? Which log files will you refer to to track it the same?
Answer: Once the devices are discovered by Configuration Manager, We can use software inventory in order to collect information about files and hardware components on client devices. Software inventory collects files from SCCM clients and stores them on the site server. You need to enable Software inventory options from client settings. Log files to refer for troubleshooting are as follows:
Inventoryagent.log- At client machine
IIS logs at c:\inetpub\logs\Log File
MP_hinv.log – At Management point
Dataldr.log- At site server
rcmctrl.log – At Site server
Sinvproc.log- At site server
13. Why is the Global condition option used?
Answer: We can create global conditions for application deployment to have granular control over deployment and to avoid issues in deployment. Global conditions allow us to carry deployment on devices if specific conditions are met. For example, if we want a higher version of software on devices but at the same time want to skip the devices which have the same version on it.
14. Which of the following is true about the maintenance window?
A maintenance window does not prevent the following tasks:
1. Policy Download
2 Inventory collection
3. Wake on LAN transmissions
4. User-initiated deployments
2. Only 1 and 2
15. What is client policy?
Answer: Client Policy defines how often the below-mentioned Configuration Manager clients download client policy:
- Windows computers (for example, desktops, servers, laptops)
- Mobile devices that Configuration Manager enrolls
- Mac computers
- Computers that run Linux or UNIX
This default client policy download interval is 60. Min.
16. What is the Delivery optimization option in SCCM Client settings?
Answer: We can use this option for boundary groups to define and regulate content distribution across your corporate network and to remote offices. Delivery Optimization is only available on Windows 10 clients.
17. What is the client’s cache?
Answer: Configure manager client maintains client cache on a windows system to store temporary files used in the application installation process. The default size of the client cache is 5120 MB.
18. What are client installation options in SCCM?
Answer: Client installation methods which are used in production are:
Group Policy Installation
Software Update point based installation
Logon Script Installation
Microsoft Intune Installation
19. Which log files will you refer to for client installation?
Answer: Ccm.log file on the SMS site server, located in the SMS\Logs folder. On the client computer, review the Ccmsetup.log and Client.msi.log file, located in %Windir%\System32\ccmsetup folder.
20. Which log file records details about software update state messages that are created and sent to the management point?
21. Which log files records activities regarding task sequence activities?
22. What is the fallback status point in SCCM?
Answer: The fallback status point redirect provides Configuration Manager clients to another fallback server in case if client installation fails or site assignment.
For more interview questions please refer my previous blog SCCM Interview Questions Part – I
SevenMnetor Pvt Ltd
Call the Trainer and Book your free demo Class for JAVA now!!!
© Copyright 2020 | Sevenmentor Pvt Ltd.