Update, Backup, Permissions –
A) Update –
What is software update?
A fix (patch) for a specific problem in Operating System, Application, and Antivirus software.
When a new operating system, application and antivirus get published, they are accompanied by improved performance, additional features and enhanced user experience. When user start using it then user comes to know real-time issues. Vendor who developed that Operating System or Application and Anti-Virus continuously monitor performance and also receive complaints, suggestions and new ideas from user.
Operating System communicate and control Hardware and Software, in Operating System users and groups are created, and there are inbuilt applications in Operating System. Operating System might have issue with compatibility with old operating system, applications which are running on previous version or old operating system. Hardware driver compatibility issues. As per design there may be bugs in Operating System or in an application. There may be security vulnerabilities in Operating System and in an Application which was not anticipated during design. However, Hacker always try to find vulnerability areas in Operating System, Applications to plan attack.
To counter these compatibility issues, bugs, hardware driver’s compatibility and security vulnerability issues software companies always release updates to secure and keep Operating System and an Application intact for use.
Windows Update Types:
1) Important updates
2) Critical updates
3) Definition updates
4) Hardware driver updates
5) Security updates
6) Update Rollup
A tested, cumulative set of hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates that are packaged together for easy deployment.
These updates are distributed by below channels ->
- Windows update
- Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)
- System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Service pack
A tested, cumulative set of all hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates. Additionally, service packs may contain additional fixes for problems that are found internally since the release of the product.
Antivirus Software Updates –
- Antivirus maintains signature and patterns of Virus, Worms, Trojans, Spyware, Ransom ware etc.
- These signatures and patterns are maintained in file, these files are called as signature files.
- So to combat with new viruses, worms and Trojans these signature files should be updated on regular basis. It get updated daily or sometimes more often.
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS):
Generally in production environment Microsoft WSUS server is configured to receive updates from Microsoft Update Catalog site. While configuring WSUS server, schedule for synchronization of WSUS server with Microsoft Update Catalog site is set and for which products of Microsoft WSUS server should receive updates is also selected.
All the clients receive updates from WSUS server and WSUS server synchronize with Microsoft Update Catalog to download latest updates for all the products which are selected while configuring WSUS. Four steps are designed for WSUS update management process.
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager:
From 2019 SCCM is called as Endpoint Configuration Manager.
SCCM is an application which can manage inventory, also install operating system on remote client computer and can be configure to maintain latest updates for all windows products. It also maintains updates for Linux and Java and other third party applications. Client computer can download updates from Endpoint Configuration Manager.
What is backup?
Ans: Backup is a copy of original data.
Following types of Backup –
- Normal Backup: A full backup of server means backup of all drives connected to server. Generally it is taken once in Week, fortnightly or monthly.
- Incremental Backup: Backup of changes happened after last normal backup is Incremental backup.
- Differential backup: Backup of changes happened after last normal and incremental backup.
- Copy backup: Copy of different data types.
Backup Tools –
1) Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager.
3) IBM Tivoli
Windows Server Backup Types.
1.System State Backup is backup of Operating System Only. It is generally useful when administrator has accidently deleted users, groups and made some modification and Administrator want to recover it.
2. i) If we take System State Backup (SS) for standalone server then it includes-
- Bootable files
- COM + class registration database.
ii) If we take System State Backup of Domain Controller then backup includes –
1) Bootable files
3) COM + class registration database.
4) Active Directory Database (NTDS)
5) SYSVOL folder.
6) If server is in cluster then cluster metadata.
7) If any special service is installed like Active Directory Certificate Services then It takes backup of this special service.
Bare Metal Recovery Backup- This backup is taken when operating system got crash and we cannot logon. We need to recover everything. BMR recovers Operating System, all data but it does not recovery data on specific volumes. BMR includes System State Backup.
C)NTFS permission , Share permission and Disk Quota
1) NTFS permissions and Share permissions, Disk quota
2) File Server Resource Manager (FSRM)
3) Distributed File System (DFS)
4) File Transfer Protocol (FTP), FTP site
Windows: 1) File Allocation Table (FAT16bit)
2) File Allocation Table (FAT 32 bit)
3) New Technology File System (NTFS)
4) Resilient file system (ReFS)
Function of File System:-
- It creates sectors on tracks
- Names to files and folders are given by file system
- Index of files and folders are maintained by file system.
- Permissions and attributes are given by file system to file, folder and drives.
New Technology File System (NTFS):
a)Standard NTFS permissions:-
1) Full Control -> All the permissions given below and also user can give NTFS permissions to other user.
2) Modify -> All the permissions given below and user can modify and delete.
3) Read and Execute-> User can read the contents of file and also execute program. (.com,.exe,.bat)
4) List folder contents -> User can traverse folder.(User can go through folders and sub folders.)
5) Read -> User can read content of files, read permissions and attributes given on files and folders.
6) Write-> User can create file and folder.
- b) Share Permissions:-
1) Full Control -> All permissions given below and user can give NTFS permission to other user.
2) Change-> User can create file and folder, modify and delete.
3) Read-> User can read the contents of file.
Note: When we access files, folders and drives then NTFS and Share permission works
- c) Disk Quota:
We can set quota limit for data storage on drives. We need to right click on drive, click on Disk Quota, enable Quota limit. We can select following settings on drive –
- Enable quota limit
- Deny disk space to user exceeding quota limit
- Log even when user exceeds quota limit.
- Lob even when user exceeds warning level limit.
- Select users and set quota limit for storage.
**After configuring NTFS permissions, Shared permission and Disk Quota, administrator has configured File server.
Call the Trainer and Book your free demo Class Call now!!!
| SevenMentor Pvt Ltd.
© Copyright 2021 | Sevenmentor Pvt Ltd.